Welcome to Punkin Seed Productions!
I'm a crafting addict and can't wait to share what's new! I'm so glad you're here - Punkin Seed Productions LOVES comments and custom orders!


Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Teaching Art to Kids - Learning about Foreshortening

As you might know already, I homeschool my three short people.  =0)  I love to teach hands on learning activities and do all kinds of creative things with them, it just sometimes gets put on the back burner for the more important stuff like math and English (yawn) LOL!  However, my kids won't let me put our week of art during  spring break on the back burner.  Our homeschool group hires an "artist in residence" for a week.  I thought I would do something a little different today and show you one of the lessons the kiddos learned about foreshortening - you know, making thinks that are closer look bigger!

The kiddos were told to sit with their legs and arms straight out in front of them.  What would that look like if someone was standing on the other end of the shoes and hands?  Yep, you guessed it, their shoes and hands would be bigger!  Now, how do you show that on paper?  Yes, you could spend all day with this group of children that were kindergarden through 3rd grade letting them try to draw two shoes that were the same size - oh yeah  and then the hands.  Nope, you let them trace their shoes and hands, talking about where your shoes would cover your hands, and what  you would see behind the shoes and hands.  Here is what I mean, give it a try yourself, its fun!

Take off  your shoes, angle them out on a large piece of poster board and trace around them.  Now think about it, if your legs are sticking straight out in front of you, your feet kind of turn out, don't they?   Now trace your hands as if they were behind your feet - your shoes will cover up some of your hands won't they?  From there, draw a circle for your head, remember its going to look smaller than your feet and hands, that's called FORESHORTENING.   Then you can draw your arms, and legs (angle those legs, bigger at the bottom, smaller on top - more foreshortening). 

One of the exercises they had to do, was to draw the bottom of their shoes - cute huh?  This taught them to focus on lines and shapes, paying attention to detail instead of just drawing what you think should be there.

Here is a picture of what my girls' drawings looked like before they were colored:


They then could get wild with the color, watercolor that is!  My girls loved this.  They experimented with how water color travels and mixes and what salt will do when sprinkled on it.  You've got to try the salt - way cool!  The key here - let your kids do it!!!  Don't try to have them make it too perfect!



Ok ladies - get to teaching and having fun with art with those kiddos - and yourself!

What did you think?  Would you like to see more of what we did with art week?

I'm Linking:









DIY Day @ ASPTL




Life in the Pitts

Show and Tell Green


Creations by Kara
giveaways

 
Get your craft on Thurs.
Transformation Thursday
Beyond The Picket Fence


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

UndertheTableandDreaming
The Girl Creative

9 comments:

  1. I would love to see more! And I think I could use some basic lessons like this myself. My mom homeschooled me and my 4 siblings. I have a lot of respect for you- that is not an easy job.

    Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I am always on the lookout for boredom busters for summer and with it only 7 short weeks away I will be doing this with the kids! I think I will be learning something too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always I am in awe of your ability to teach your children. I know I would not have had the patience to do what you do. This looks like such a fun project and Addie and Lex did such a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun project..

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another great party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are super cute! Stop by the Sunday Showcase party if you get a chance. Looks like your little ones really enjoyed this fun project - love the creations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by and joining the Sunday Showcase! This is a great and creative lesson! Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    Ginger
    SSB

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great and fun project--way to go! Thanks for linking up! My daughter will love this.

    ReplyDelete